Monday, October 27, 2014

Yoga As a Metaphor for Gospel Living - Mountain Pose & Standing Forward Bend
You will notice in reading my profile that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Throughout the history of Yoga, the practice has included spiritual teachings as part of the uniting of body, mind and spirit. The spiritual beliefs and practices of the guru or "teacher" are often reflected in the physical and other practices of yoga.
As I incorporate my spiritual beliefs into my yoga teachings, I invite you to incorporate your own personal beliefs as metaphors, to help you meet the challenges of your life as well as to enrich your personal practice on the mat. You can use my ideas as a guide.

In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (for the sake of brevity, from here on referred to as "the LDS Church) we have a lay ministry. This requires that all members of a certain age hold "callings" or responsibilities, for which we are set apart through priesthood authority, giving us the support of the Holy Ghost in our specific individual calling. After a time, we are released from one calling and given another. As a result, our responsibilities and obligations change, we acquire skills in a variety of areas, from teaching a class, to leading an organization, serving as a member of a bishopric, doing clerical work, camp director, Scoutmaster, nursery leader, etc. While this is a wonderful way to develop our talents and to learn new skills, of course there are attendant challenges, stresses, and fears that arise, simply because we are just ordinary people being asked to do some extraordinary things!

In my experience, yoga has helped me in many ways to adapt to this way of life. I was a convert to the LDS Church at the age of 19, and so, it was a huge challenge for me to take on responsibilities with which I had no previous experience, sacrifice my personal time (often with young children to care for) to fulfill my church obligations, and especially, learn to exercise faith that the Lord would help me succeed in all I was required to do. When Yoga entered my life, I learned about balancing my time and activities, setting priorities, and recognizing my own limits so I wasn't pushing myself to the breaking point, and even how to be a "disciple" with Jesus Christ as my Leader and Teacher. I learned to look inward to identify what my fears and self-limiting beliefs were, where they came from, and what to do about them. Through my years as a yoga teacher, I also learned that latter-day saints are not the only ones with challenges to face, and that everyone, regardless of their religion or other differences, has pretty much the same stresses to deal with. So, I hope as I use my own experience and speak to my LDS followers, anyone will be able to relate to what I have to say, with experiences of their own.

With that in mind, come into Mountain Pose, standing with feet parallel, a few inches apart, toes pointing forward; bring up The Squeeze, roll the shoulders back and down, and with an inhalation allow the arms to slowly rise out to the sides, upward, turning the palms up at shoulder level, and on overhead. Keep the shoulders relaxed, away from your ears as the arms lengthen upward. Hold here and breathe steadily, as you relax any unnecessary tension in the shoulders. Feel your feet pressing into your mat, how the Squeeze holds your torso steady, and looking inward, watch energy flow upward from the earth beneath your feet through your entire body and out through the fingertips. Allow yourself to take on the qualities of a mountain: firm; steady; enduring; immovable; strong.

From the top of your mountain, see your life in true perspective. See who you are in all the many roles you play; see where your strengths lie; see what it is that holds you "in place"; see what it is you "stand for"; see where you are "immovable"; gaze into the past and acknowledge the "seasons of storms" that you have endured; know that your future holds many challenges and "seasons" yet for you to endure. Where are the weaknesses that, with the Lord's help, you can turn into strengths? Where are you being required to be a strength to others? Who, in your immediate family or circle of friends do you look to for strength? What else comes to mind as you hold Mountain Pose?

Hold to your edge, then slowly release the pose and relax. You might want to journal something that came up for you as you experienced Mountain Pose.

To complete today's practice, come into a version of Standing Forward Bend that works for your body. You may want to rest your hands on blocks, or on the seat of a chair. Keeping your knees soft, allow the spine and neck to relax as you fold forward. This is a posture of submission, and counter-poses Mountain Pose, a posture of power. Breathe as you just hang out here; relax the spine, and let go of striving; feel a sense of submissive acceptance of things as they are, of yourself as you are; watch how your mind begins to calm down; allow yourself to be soft, reverent, and teachable, knowing that your loving Heavenly Father is with you, ready to guide you and help you through all of life's challenges. Know that as you remain prayerful, keep his commandments and do your honest best, the Savior's grace will carry you along. You will find the answers you need, the strength you need, the help you need, as you humbly submit your will to the Father's.

Roll slowly up out of the pose. Do a few Swinging Twists accompanied by deep breaths, and go on with your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment